Category Archives: Greek Life
Calling all Greeks! They make up 11% of the population at URI. Talk about recruitment, events, greek week, or whatever here.
Source- A longtime volunteer at a University of Rhode Island sorority has been charged with embezzling $165,000 that the student organization had set aside for a new house… 40-year-old Tanya McGinn of North Attleboro, Mass., was arrested following a year-long investigation into the missing money. Her membership was revoked after the allegations came to light.
Fucking sorority sluts, man! They’re out there tricking you to think that they are just “volunteering” because they are such great sisters. Then you check the books, and hey, would ya look at that! 165 Grand is missing. So what do they do? They tell her she is no longer able to come party with them! The ultimate insult in sorority land! You can’t drink our booze or come to our sleepover parties! Fuckin’ sororities…
PS: Why do they need a new house? The house they currently live in looks kick-ass!
UPDATE: Bonus News Coverage
I don’t know anything about this Frat or about this frat house. All I know is that they think that a Mitsubishi Lancer is a cool car to park on their lawn. They clearly have a parking lot in the back, but this frat bro decided that it would be really awesome to park this low rider on the lawn. Bro, you must get so much pussy in that Mitsubishi. I am so jealous of you and all of your frat brothers who must be getting laid due to association. Keep it up! Bitches love Mitsubishis.
Look, I’m not in the Greek system and I don’t have a Greek blogger so I’m asking you URI. Would you actually buy any of that shit? I mean, there is no way in hell I would ever spend money on any of that. Pay money to look like a deuce bag is not my style. I also think that skateboarding is way too counter-culture for anyone who is looking to ever be employed and/or taken seriously.
Nine million college students are members of a Greek organization! There HAS to be a reason for so many people to want to be a part of it! And NO it’s not for partying.
- Since 1825, all but three US presidents have been members of a fraternity.
- 85% of Fortune 500 executives were part of Greek life.
- The first female astronaut and female senator was Greek.
- College graduation rates are 20 percent higher among Greeks than non-Greeks.
Click the link to be more educated on greek life before you judge people for being Greek.
- sorry we have dues like almost any other fully functioning organization on campus
- a lot of that money comes back to you in the form of t-shirts, sisterhood events, and other things
- i have friends outside of the greek system, it’s not like i’m sitting alone in my room thinking “i don’t have any friends, i should probably pay people to do it”
- we still talk to and hang out with girls that WERE in or WERE ABOUT TO join the sorority
- greek housing is cheaper, so if you live in the house you can actually save around as much as dues costs
- do people that make friends at camp, dance lessons, schools with tuition, etc. “pay” for friends? because if making friends in an organization is “buying” friends then everyone that pays tuition at URI is buying all the friends that they meet here.
- i love my sisters so much that i WOULD pay money for the opportunity to meet them. i know that this is anonymous, but i really just hope they see this blog and how much they mean to me and think “maybe this person is talking about me”
oh and here’s a funny video about sororities that i can’t help but giggle at….
Here are some of the highlights of the week so far:
Saturday was the softball tournament that raises money for the chosen charity of the year.
Then there’s the official start to greek week: Opening day. We all wake up nice and early to socialize and break the ice with our teammates. Then everyone arrives at the track at 10am where there is a full security and EMS staff there and ready for everyone to have a safe, fun time.
At opening day we have field events like displaying of our chariot and chosen guys and girls in togas that go with our theme, torch races, potato sack hops [with the girl and guy from each pairing in the same sack], tricycle races, etc.
A lot of people fell flat on their face during the torch race at the same turn. It was suspiciously coincidental.
The sack race was beyond hilarious with people falling all over each other.
My favorite part was the tug-of-war CAN YOU IMAGINE the huge guys of ΠKA with the tiny girls of AΦ pulling that rope? The tiny girls were being yanked around by their own team!! It’s n image that everyone should have a chance to see.
Later that night was Mr. And Mrs. Greek Week. The beauty pageant with a swimsuit competition, talent performance, formalwear, and interview. This was a particularly interesting year for Mr. And Mrs. Greek Week. There were very unique performances from the basic singing, dancing, musical instrument type thing. Someone made jerk chicken, another did gymnastics, one girl showed how good she is at walking around and twirling, a guy did rhythmic gymnastics with a ribbon, and one girl displayed her excellent razzbull making abilities. In the end the winners were AΦ and ΛXA.
Points Awarded so far:
- 1st place- PHI SIG & TEP- 600
- 2nd place- SIGMA KAPPA, DELTA CHI, SIGMA CHI- 500
- 3rd place- SDT & LAMBDA- 400
- 4th place- ZTA & SAE- 400
- 1st place- SDT & FIJI- 600
- 2nd place- PHI SIG & LAMBDA- 500
- 3rd place- ALPHA PHI & SIGMA PI- 400
- 4th place- ADPI & CHI PHI- 300
- 1st place- ZTA & SAE- 300
- 2nd place- PIKE & ALPHA PHI- 200
- 3rd place- SIG EP, THETA CHI, & ACHIO- 100
- 1st place- SIGMA KAPPA, DELTA CHI, SIGMA CHI- 300
- 2nd place- AZD & ZBT- 200
- 3rd place- ACHIO, SIG EP, THETA CHI- 100
- 1ST place- ALPHA PHI & PIKE- 300
- 2nd place- ZTA & SAE- 200
- 3rd place- SIGMA KAPPA, DELTA CHI, SIGMA CHI- 100
TUG OF WAR:
- 1st place- ALPHA PHI & PIKE- 500
- 2nd place- CHIO, ATO, CHI PHI- 400
- 3rd place- SDT & LAMBDA- 300
- 4th place- PHI SIG & TEP- 200
MR. AND MRS. GREEK WEEK POINTS WILL BE AVAILABLE SOON!
As we all know, this week is greek week. The week of competing, teamwork, and of course: having fun. This is the coveted week for the greek system. All our hard work and efforts are being paid off as we win and earn point towards being greek week champions.
Every sorority and fraternity are paired with each other to combine points to be overall winners. The theme this year is 90s so everyone had to come up with their own theme within the overall theme and have matching tshirts and chariots and togas to match the theme. Here are the pairing for this year (sorted in alphabetical order of sororities) along with their theme that I could understand:
ΑΔΠ – FIJI: Mtv
AΞΔ – ZBT: Fight Club
AΦ – ΠKA: Saved by the Bell
AXΩ – ΘX – ΣΦE: American Pie
ΔZ – ΣΠ:
ZTA – ΣAE: Fresh Prince
ΣΔT – ΛXA
ΣK – ΔX – ΣX: Space Jam
ΦΣΣ – TEΦ: Ace Ventura
XΩ – XΦ – ATΩ: Wayne’s World
I’ll be giving you updates on the progressing events!!
(POV=Point of View….GDI=Goddamn Independent)
I may not be in any frat, but a lot of my friends are, so I should probably watch what I say. This blog is about Greek Week from the point of view of a non affiliated student. I apologize to the greeks (13%) ahead of time. #sorryNotSorry
To us normal people, Greek Week is a reminder of why we didn’t join a frat/sorority. #youKnowItsGreekWeekWhen its not even 8am and I have been woken up to drunken shenanigans outside my window. Yes, its college and kids are entitled to their underage drinking fun (I do the same thing), but keep that shit to frat circle. If you competing exclusively against other frats/sororities and you are drinking exclusively with other frats/sororities then don’t burden the rest of campus. It’s 8am on Sunday: we have our own hangovers to deal with! Also, the dumbass excuse: “I can’t. I have Greek Week.” This one frustrates me and I have dealt with it in the past. Last year I had a group project to finish and one girl kept saying how she couldn’t meet at any time because she “had Greek week.” We couldn’t meet after class because she skipped 2 out of the 3 classes that week and the one time she did show up, she was blackout shit-hammered. Normally I say “you aren’t an alcoholic until you drink/party this much after college.” Well here is the exception: When you are drinking and partying more than you are attending classes, you have a problem. If I wanted to drink and party all semester, think I would be spending 40 Gs to here? Fuck that noise. In conclusion, fuck you Greek week. Fuck you.
ps: like I said, I am a biased individual. TooFratToBlog will attempt a pro-greek week blog (most likely while intoxicated) later this week. [Don't do it dude. No blogging under the influence!]